Today’s recipe is a simple paleo and vegan friendly side dish, or you can serve as a main dish. Zucchini noodles are an excellent substitution for pasta and are also great for those who are gluten-free and grain-free. The pesto sauce in this dish creates a beautiful green color, which is so festive for a holiday table. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 4 small zucchini, ends trimmed
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cups olive or avocado oil
- ⅓ cups pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Make noodles: Use a spiralizer, julienne peeler or mandoline to slice the zucchini into noodles. Set aside.
- Make pesto: Combine the basil and garlic in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the pine nuts or walnuts. Pulse until blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the zucchini noodles and pesto.
- Toss until zucchini noodles are well coated.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. To heat, sauté in a skillet over medium heat until warm, about 2 minutes. Serve topped with grilled chicken or shrimp, if desired.
Recipe by: Stephanie Eckelkamp for Prevention