Craving a warm and savory meal, you must try this vegan and gluten-free Roasted Cauliflower Chowder. It is rich and creamy but without all of the calories. The best part, it only takes ten minutes of prep time. Perfect for after a long day at work or school.
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours (you can do this in the morning before work/school)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 small potato
- 1 garlic bulb
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup Roasted Garlic Hummus
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (+ more as needed)
- 2 teaspoons miso paste
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Additional garlic if desired
- Add cashews to a bowl, cover with hot water and let soak for at least 2 hours.
- While cashews are soaking, preheat the oven to 425ºF. Chop cauliflower into florets, and peel and chop the potatoes. Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with about 1½ tablespoons of oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the top off the garlic bulb so that some of the cloves are slightly exposed. Drizzle with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap bulb in tin foil and place on sheet with vegetables.
- Roast for 20 – 25 minutes until the cauliflower is starting to brown and the potatoes are soft (they do not have to be totally soft because they will be blended later). Check the garlic after 15 minutes to make sure it is not burning. Allow the veggies to cool slightly, then add them to a high-powered blender. Squeeze/spoon the garlic out of skin, and add it to the blender as well.
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Add them to the blender along with the hummus and quinoa. Pour in liquids, miso, nutritional yeast (if using) and additional salt and pepper, and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings (adding more garlic, salt, pepper, miso or other seasonings) as desired.
- Serve warm topped with the roasted garlic garnish from the hummus, chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe by: Simplyquinoa