This chocolate chip cookie is an excellent dessert option for those following the Paleo Diet and/or if you follow a grain-free, gluten-free or dairy-free diet. Hard to imagine a cookie can taste good after removing the traditional ingredients, but this chocolate chip wonder does not disappoint. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil or butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons natural almond butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- In a medium-mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or using a stand mixer, beat together the fat and sugar at medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute. If you use coconut oil, it may not come together easily. If that is the case, use your hands to combine and beat another 20 seconds.
- Beat in the almond butter and vanilla extract on medium speed, and mix until combined. Beat in the egg on low and mix until well incorporated. Then stir in 1 cup chocolate chips. If you used brown sugar, skip to the next step. If you used coconut sugar, place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 1 hour or until the dough is firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 8 balls, and place the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on the top and on the sides of the dough balls. Place three inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press the cookies down lightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes (if using coconut sugar) or 14-17 minutes (if using brown sugar), or until the surface of the center of the cookies no longer appears wet. They will be very soft but will continue to cook as they sit on the cookie sheet.
- Let cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- For paleo: Use coconut sugar, coconut oil and paleo chocolate.
- For dairy-free: Use coconut oil and dairy-free chocolate.
Yield: 8 cookies
Recipe by: Texanerin Baking