We know that it can be difficult to stay on a healthy eating routine when traveling or working long hours. Today’s recipe is an easy, nutritious meal on the go. This dish is low in carbohydrates and is a sucrose (sugar) intolerance safe recipe. Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole grain tortilla chips, broken
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa, no sugar added
Creamy Salsa Dressing (optional)
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ripe, mashed avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the turkey. Cook until turkey is no longer pink and cooked through. Add spices and stir to combine. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- To make the salad, divide the tortilla chips between six jars. Layer each with half the salsa, turkey mixture, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese.
- Make the optional dressing by blending the yogurt, avocado, lime juice and salsa in a blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. Top the salad with the dressing, seal the jars and store in the fridge until ready to eat. Eat within 1-2 days for best results.
Recipe by: SkinnyMs