Wow your friends this Memorial Day weekend and grill up something unique and healthy. This Grilled Eggplant Taco recipe is low-carb and low-sugar; it can easily be made vegetarian or vegan. This dish makes a fun appetizer or an alternative option to the traditional hotdogs and burgers.
It’s also easy to put together. Prep time is only 5 minutes, which is perfect when you would prefer to mingle with your friends, instead of being stuck in the kitchen. Don’t forget to bring out the hot sauce. These veggie tacos taste extra yummy with kick of spice. Adding avocado slices and lime on the side when you serve the tacos makes this a memorable dish.
Serves: 2 to 4
- 1 large eggplant
- ½ cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- 1 large tomato, seeded and cut into small cubes
- ½ cup black beans
- 1 cup cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for brushing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- handful fresh cilantro
- avocado slices
- lime wedges
- Pre-heat the oven to 375° F.
- Cut the eggplant into ½-inch thick slices (or desired thickness). Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and cook on a stove-top, cast-iron grill pan for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile in a small glass bowl, add the corn, tomato, beans, cilantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine.
- Remove the cast iron grill pan from the stove top. Spoon some of the corn and bean mixture onto each eggplant slice. Top with shredded cheese and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with avocado and lime.
Recipe by: Garden in the Kitchen
At My Gut Health Today, we understand how challenging it can be to live with a food intolerance, a food allergy, or a food sensitivity. One of the biggest obstacles is finding tasty recipes and/or substitutions that won’t make us or our loved ones sick. Our My Gut Health Today recipe series features safe recipes for a variety of food intolerances and food allergies. Please carefully review all of the ingredients to ensure the recipe you are interested in is safe for you and your family to consume. Only you understand the unique nuances of your situation. We are offering helpful suggestions to make your cooking lives easier and your stomachs happier.