This recipe is an easy dairy-free and gluten-free dish to make in your Crock-Pot. Only takes ten minutes of prep time, then allow the Crock-Pot to do the rest of the work. If you do not like shrimp or have an allergy to shellfish, you can substitute with chicken or pork. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 11 ounces medium peeled, frozen raw shrimp (see notes below for fresh shrimp)
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted stewed tomatoes (diced work best)
- 2 tablespoons spicy salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- Dash of sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped cilantro (2 tablespoons go on top)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional toppings – feta, avocado, chili pepper, etc.
- Layer your raw, frozen shrimp at the bottom of pot. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in your sea salt and pepper, and mix around shrimp. If you are using frozen shrimp, drain your tomato juice first, then add in your tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients including seasonings.
- Mix again and cook in Crock-Pot on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Note that 2 tablespoons cilantro goes in the mix, and 1-2 tablespoons on top for garnish.
- Serve with gluten-free corn or paleo tortillas, rice and avocado.
* If you want to use fresh shrimp or fresh chicken/pork, be sure to watch the Crock-Pot as it will cook faster and you do not want the shrimp or meat to get tough. Keep the juice from the tomatoes if you are using fresh shrimp/meat, then cook on low and check after an hour. It will probably take no longer than 2 hours depending on your low setting.
Recipe by: Cotter Crunch