Here is an easy gluten-free recipe to use as an appetizer or for lunches. These cheesy spinach balls are a great way to sneak in extra veggies. The nice thing is they can be served hot or cold, so nothing goes to waste. This is a sucrose (sugar) intolerance safe recipe. Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves trimmed and washed. It makes about 2/3 cup of cooked, squeezed and packed spinach
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (cheddar used in this recipe)
- 1 cup Gluten-Free Panko Crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs of your choice (coriander used in this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Trim and wash the fresh spinach leaves.
- Place the leaves into a saucepan, add salt and cover with boiling water. Cover and set aside for 3 minutes.
- Rinse the spinach with cold tap water. Drain using your hands to squeeze all the remaining water. You should obtain about 2/3 cup of packed cooked spinach leaves. If you are using frozen spinach, defrost and measure this quantity.
- Finely chop the cooked spinach. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, cheese, herbs, Gluten-Free Panko Crumbs, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine with a spoon or your hands until batter is thick enough to form balls with your hands or a small cookie scoop maker.
- If too moist, add more crumbs until easy to roll as ball with your hands.
- Place the balls on a non-stick cookie tray covered with baking paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until golden on the top.
- Serve hot or cold with your choice of dips, such as pesto, hummus or homemade ketchup.
Recipe by: Sweetashoney