This recipe is a healthy and low-carb alternative to serving traditional rolls or breadsticks with dinner. This is a gluten-free dish and a sucrose (sugar) intolerance* safe recipe, plus it is paleo friendly! Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
*Click link to learn more about Sucrose Intolerance.
1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
1 free-range organic egg, lightly beaten
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
½ teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
Pinch of dried Italian herb season
Marinara sauce, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°, and line a loaf pan with parchment paper so that the excess paper hangs over the sides. Lightly grease the parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan over low heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute max. Turn the heat off and set aside.
- In a food processor, rice the cauliflower florets. It should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized.
- Transfer cauliflower rice to a microwave-safe dish, and microwave on high for 8 minutes until cooked.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel, and twist to squeeze out as much moisture as you can. This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry, otherwise you will end up with mushy breadsticks.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, mozzarella, Italian herb seasoning, garlic, oil, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Spread cauliflower mixture in the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake about 25 to 30 minutes until the loaf is set and starts to turn golden.
- In the meantime, line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- When the “loaf” is cooked, use the parchment paper to lift out of the loaf pan and carefully flip over onto the lined baking sheet so the bottom is on top.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes until golden.
- Take it out of the oven, and preheat the broiler. Sprinkle cheese and Italian herb seasoning on top of the loaf.
- Broil for a couple minutes until the cheese is melted and golden in spots.
- Let cool before cutting into 10 sticks.
- Serve hot, warm or cold. If you let it cool, the crust will harden and it will be easy to hold. Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice like marinara or pesto.
Makes 10 breadsticks
Recipe by: The Iron You